Parsley is one of the most versatile herbs there is. It’s a wonderful addition to a savory stew, but it’s also a homeopathic remedy that offers a lot of health benefits. It’s packed with many nutrients that you just can’t find anywhere else!
There are many things that make this herb amazing, and there are many reasons to add it to your diet. Below, you’ll find the top 10:
- Fight allergies and autoimmune disorders — The essential oils in parsley have been proven to suppress an overactive immune response to particles your body views as invaders. This means that those with rheumatoid arthritis, allergies, chronic inflammatory disorders, and autoimmune disorders will benefit from consuming more parsley.
- Reduce cancer risk — Parsley is loaded with a flavonoid known as apigenin. It is known to contain many cancer-fighting properties, and it will work to prevent the spread of free radicals and toxins in your body. It can even help to reduce your body’s natural inflammatory response, thereby reducing your risk of developing cancer in your breasts, colon, prostate, and even in your skin.
- Reduce swelling — According to recent studies, parsley contains an oil known as eugenol. This oil is a volatile oil known to reduce swelling in the body, thereby improving problems like arthritis and joint pain.
- Improve circulation — Studies have shown that homocysteine can be reduced by folic acid, a nutrient that is found in high doses in parsley. Homocysteine is known to increase your risk of strokes and heart attacks when there is too much of the vital amino acid in your body, so controlling it with a parsley smoothie or shake is the way to go.
- Reduce disease — Did you know that parsley is an excellent source of Vitamin C? Vitamin C has been proven to help reduce the risk of diseases like asthma, atherosclerosis, colon cancer, and even atherosclerosis. It neutralizes the free radicals that causes these diseases, and will help to keep you healthy.
- Improve bone health — Parsley is rich in Vitamin K, a nutrient that has proven to be effective at promoting healthy bones. Vitamin K helps your body to synthesize a nutrient called osteocalcin, which improves the strength and durability of your bones. It can also stop calcium from building up in your body’s tissues.
- Fight anemia — Did you know that parsley is loaded with chlorophyll, the compound that makes it green? Chlorophyll helps to purify your blood, and ensures that you have the nutrients necessary to create new blood cells.
- Reduce bad breath — Got a problem with foul-smelling breath? Chow down on a piece of parsley, and you’ll find that the chlorophyll will act like nature’s toothbrush to get rid of all of the germs in your mouth!
- Regulate menstruation — Parsley contains apiole oil, which has been proven to be effective at controlling the production of estrogen in the body. For women who have high estrogen levels, menstruation can be very intense. Controlling estrogen can help to regulate menstruation and make it more manageable.
- Fight infections — Parsley is loaded with Vitamin C–more than you’d get from oranges– which means that it will give your immune system a radical boost to fight off infections. However, the histidine in parsley helps to repair and regrow damaged tissue, and it can speed up healing.
Who knew that this simple spice–so crucial for a tasty Argentine chimichurri–would be so loaded with health benefits? It may be time to add that shake to your daily meal plan, or find more ways to add it into your soups and salads!