It can be tough to be happy and in a good mood all the time! We’ve all got those good mood songs that we listen to when we need a pick-me-up, and we look for those foods that make us happy. Some food, however, will make you a grumpy Gustav or Griselda!
Want to stay in a good mood? Stay away from these 10 foods listed below:
- Soda — It may be tasty, but it’s definitely not the healthiest choice! We all love a bit of soda, but it’s definitely a mood-killer thanks to all the sugar. As you drink a lot of sugar, you get an increase in your blood glucose. This causes your body to lower your glucose drastically, causing a sugar crash that is always accompanied by bad moods. Instead, mix organic fruit juice with mineral water.
- Pumpkin Seeds — No, we’re not talking about the raw pumpkin seeds that are so good for your health, and which you toast yourself. We’re talking about the ones that come in the plastic package already roasted. They’re toasted with a preservative called potassium bromate, which stops your thyroid from absorbing iodide. Without this important mineral, your thyroid won’t work properly and your mood will be affected.
- Ham — The ham sitting on your Christmas dinner table has been injected with a whole lot of preservatives, as well as salt, sugar, fillers, and nitrates. These ingredients can trigger a mood swing, and can even cause migraine headaches, swelling around your ankles, and cause depression.
- Margarine — It may be promoted as “healthier than butter”, but it’s really not! Margarine is made with lots of Omega-6 fatty acids, which alter insulin levels and have the ability to make you moody. Your body just doesn’t know how to process the fat, so it handles it poorly.
- Shortening — That Crisco you have sitting in your pantry is definitely going to spoil your day. The Omega-6 fatty acids in the shortening will block the Omega-3 fatty acids from being absorbed into your brain. Omega-3 fatty acids are needed to promote a balance of neurochemicals in your brain, and a lack of them can lead to bad moods.
- Junk Food — It may make you feel happy for a short while, but that’s just the high you get from eating food you enjoy. Junk food like chips are deep fried in oil, which is loaded with Omega-6 fatty acids. They stop the good Omega-3s from being absorbed, and will affect your mood very negatively.
- Bagels — Who doesn’t love a good breakfast of bagels and cream cheese? However, eating this can ruin your day, as the white carb-heavy bread will cause a serious energy crash–accompanied by a bad mood, of course.
- Agave Nectar — While this has been touted as a supremely healthy alternative to sugar, the truth is that it’s not your best choice. According to Mercola.com, agave nectar is often filled with pesticides, affects your blood sugar drastically, and ruins your mood. Instead, follow these recommendations and stick with raw honey or stevia to avoid the blues.
- Peanuts — As delicious as this salted snack is, it’s packed with more preservatives than potato chips. You’ll find that these peanuts are usually loaded with MSG, a flavoring agent that has been linked to irritability, migraine headaches, breathing issues, and even weakness.
- Sweet Potatoes — No, the delicious tuber isn’t bad on its own, but it’s a serious detriment when laden with sugar, marshmallows, and all the other sugary goodness that turns it into a Thanksgiving dessert. The more sugar you eat, the more your mood is affected!