The perfect shades of lipstick for yellow teeth are right under your nose.
Having a not so perfectly white smile isn’t the worst thing in the world. My teeth aren’t perfectly white! But, sometimes foregoing the pilgrimage to your dentist to get some whitening done means that any hint of color will show up when compared to a lipstick. I’ve become something of a master of choosing lipstick for yellow teeth. Just a smidge of color theory and you’ll (seem) to have white teeth, too.
Before we start, here’s our base line with no lipstick and a handy white backdrop for comparison.
Warm vs cool tones
The first and biggest lesson is to choose cool toned lipstick over warm tones. You can see in this comparison that with everything else the exact same my teeth look significantly way more yellow against the orange lipstick. That red lipstick? It’s the Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche lipstick in Tannin, one of my favorite shades of lipstick for yellow teeth.
Even without the (way too close) close up you can see the difference. An orange based (warm) red like Kat Von D Countess brings out the yellow in teeth. The blue-ish (cool) undertones to Bite’s Tannin contrasts and makes teeth look whiter.
Light vs dark shades
Next issue is contrast. Teeth tend to look lighter and brighter when compared to a dark lip. Even though the top, pastel shade is more cool toned than the darker pink, my teeth look brighter against the darker lip.
If you just can’t do a dark lip day to day, you can fake a whiter smile by going for a medium, cool toned shade.
Some favorites are:
- NARS Sheer Lipstick in Roman Holiday – a bright, very cool toned medium pink. This shade is extra flattering because it’s sheer, letting your natural lip color shine through.
- Tom Ford Boys and Girls lipstick in Dakota – a lighter, medium cool pink.
- Bobbi Brown Sheer Lip Color in Pink Flush – a very easy to wear medium pink.
- Chanel Rouge Coco Lipstick in Elise – a medium pink that toes the line into bubblegum pink while looking adult enough to wear into the office.
- MAC lipstick in Giddy – the easiest to wear Barbie pink of all time.
The Best Shade of Lipstick for Yellow Teeth
It all boils down to the deeper the color with a cool tone, the better off you are going to be.
Some of the best lipsticks for yellow teeth are:
- Buxom Bold Gel Lipstick in Voodoo Spice – a deep cool toned burgundy red.
- Rituel De Fille Forbidden Lipstick in Written In Blood – a lighter cool toned blood red.
- Beauty Bakerie Lip Whip in Cranberry Stiletto – a purple-leaning cranberry red.
- Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Troublemaker – a deep blackened plum.
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Tannin – star of today’s show a classic cool toned red.
But if you’re over the not-so-bright teeth situation, you could always whiten your teeth at home!
Love this article? For more beauty, style, travel, and trending topics check out The Luxury Spot on Facebook. Like us and we’ll love you back!