Since it’s Rivkah‘s 1 month birthday (officially today, woohoo!), I thought I’d put together a little list of all the things that have gotten us through the first few weeks:
1. My boobs. Let’s be real, they’re how she’s put on a few pounds since leaving the hospital- enough to give her the chubby cheeks of my dreams.
2. Lavanila Baby Butter. It’s got a ton of vitamins, no junky chemicals or mineral oil, smells delish, and is light enough to not make the wee one greasy, but rich enough to keep her delicate skin moist in the cold NYC weather.
3. Insanely fast diaper delivery. This is in no way a PR endorsement- in fact, the PR people at Diapers.com have never contacted me even once (kinda stupid, because I’d basically whore myself out for them), but I love Diapers.com. Why? Because their house brand of diapers holds all sorts of baby gunk inside the diaper without gross leaks, they’re cheap, and they ship right to my door in about 24 hours. Um, that means if I know I only have 10-15 diapers left, I can order exactly what I need from their website and I’ll get it just in time. No shopping in crazy stores during holiday mayhem, leaving my apt in the freezing cold, or even having to pay cab fare just to get overpriced diapers. BRILLIANT.
4. Pumping. Pumping is essential for a few good reasons. If you put some milk aside, it means you can have a babysitter or relative watch the little one while you’re out at a movie, shopping, or even just a much needed mani. It also means a return to work, romance, and moderate wine consumption (it’s called “pump n dump” for a reason). I prefer manual pumps because I can control the speed, intensity, and they don’t make weird sounds in public bathrooms.
5. Good friends. Good friends aren’t exactly “things” for babies, but, they restore sanity in times of little sleep, bring much-needed pastries (yes, those are a need) to your doorstep, and remind you of the adult world when your entire home has been consumed by butt ointments, nipple creams, and burp cloths.