If you’ll be hungover tomorrow, this may be the best solution for you. Here’s hoping. My thoughts lie in cheese curing any ailment. Check the ingredients & prepare for this meal in the morning. Accompany with a beer. You’ll thank me.
Irish Bangers baked with Cheddar Eggs
Recipe adapted from/image via CHOW [Egg whites recipe adapted for those (me) who can’t deal with too much yolk.]
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for coating the ramekins (or use a good butter spray)
- 1/2 pound Irish sausages (encased, find them at your local butcher)
- 8 large eggs (or 4 eggs & 1 cup egg whites), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, shredded Irish cheddar cheese – but any non-sharp cheddar will do.
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat 4 small ramekins with butter and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a medium frying pan with a tightfitting lid, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat until foaming. Seer sausage on each side, turning occasionally until browned. 15-20 minutes. Let cool and chop small.
- Evenly distribute banger pieces among the ramekins. Break 2 eggs (or 1 egg & 1/4cup of eggwhite) into each ramekin, being careful not to break the yolk(s), season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and top each with 1/4 of the cheese. Bake until the eggs are set or to your desired doneness (18 to 22 minutes for runny yolks). Remove from the oven and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle extra cheese on top for good measure.