Yes, we all know the skivvies are comin’ out for summer. It’s time to indulge in a little less clothing, and our diets unfortunately shall follow suit. Thankfully, detox diva Brenda Watson, author of The Poop Chronicles (yep), can help us with a little jump-start on our goal to looking and feeling better for bikini season with these killer tips to detox. As well as helping our bodies feel good from the inside out, an effective detox program can help with belly bloat and shedding a few extra pounds, and who doesn’t want that?
- Try Juicing! Juicing is a cleansing technique that can be great for the body, but make sure you do it right. If you’re thinking about doing a juice detox, be sure you’re using only all-natural juices made from organic vegetables. Specifically, dark, leafy greens, beets or parsley. Also, I’d recommend juicing in the morning and afternoon, and then ending the day with a light, healthy meal.
- Safeguard Your Skin. Your skin is your body’s largest organ, and it shouldn’t be overlooked when it comes to healthy detoxification. A simple and effective way to deeply clean your skin and pores is to sit in a steam bath or sauna. This will increase the amount of sweat that your body normally produces and essentially help to flush out the poisons from your skin and lymphatic system.
- Drink Plenty of Water. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a hundred times: Drink up! Drinking plenty of water every day will further help your body flush out unwanted toxins, which is why I recommend drinking at least half your body weight in ounces of water each day. Not only that, but drinking enough water also helps to boost metabolism and is important for healthy weight management.
- Consider Colon Hydrotherapy. Colon hydrotherapy uses an infusion of filtered, warm water into the colon to assist with the body’s natural detoxification processes and help give you a fresh start like treating your insides to a day at the spa! Be sure to choose a colon therapist that has been certified by the International Association for Colon Hydrotherapy (I-ACT). Such therapists use FDA-regulated equipment and help to ensure the establishment of safe standards and guidelines.
- Don’t Fall for the Fads. Avoid cleansing and detox regimens that involve things like strict fasting, eliminating entire food groups from your diet, or other unsafe practices that can leave your body feeling deprived and run down. Such methods typically end up having the exact opposite effect causing sharp fluctuations in blood sugar that often lead to increased cravings and overeating.
- Detox Your External Environment. If you really want to give your body a fresh start this summer, don’t forget about your external environment. It’s important to rid your home, car and office space of harsh chemicals and pesticides that can be found in everything from food and water, carpets and upholstery, even household appliances, cleaning products and personal care products. Begin by slowly taking stock of your environment and replacing potentially toxic items with safer, natural alternatives. Your body will thank you!