I think it’s a safe bet to assume that most people think of New York City when they hear “New York.” As many things that happen in NYC, the capital of the state is actually up in Albany. I recently had the pleasure of taking a weekend trip up North to A town, and was amazed at how much there is to do! Aside from all the historic attractions in nearby countryside, Albany has tons to offer right in the heart of the city. So, the next time you find yourself traveling up to New York’s capital, be sure to check out these five fun places:
1. Thirsty? Check out the Biergarten: truly authentic, this German-themed bar serves only German and Belgian beers, in either large, huge, or gallon sized steins! Hungry? Grab some peanuts, and feel free to throw the shells on the floor – everyone else does. This is a great place to come early in the night to get the party started. And there’s plenty of seating, just squeeze into one of the long picnic tables – you’re sure to make new friends!
2. Like sightseeing? The City Hall building reminded me of the castle in “Beauty and the Beast” and looks stunning in person! Also, right next door to the City Hall is the Empire State Plaza. The super modern buildings make you feel like you are in an episode of Star Trek. The state museum is also right there, as well as the famous Egg, which looks stunning in person!
3. Got energy to burn? In the wintertime you can skate on the rink located at the center of the plaza!
4. Hungry? Cross the river and try Jose Malone’s, a restaurant of Mexican and Irish fusion… The corned beef quesadillas are mui yummy, as well as their fresh made guacomole – yum!
5. Still thirsty? Right down from Jose Malone’s is Brown’s Brewing Co., a micro brewery serving up the freshest beers this side of the Hudson! My favorite was the Raspberry Oat, but that’s just cause I love everything fruity!