A lower carb, higher taste-factor muffin jam packed with healthy nuts & fiber. A simple recipe easily batched for an amazing way to start your day, or for a mid-day energy boosting snack.
Blue Corn Honey Nut Muffins
Recipe from Scarletta Bakes // Yields 12 muffins
- 1 c. blue cornmeal
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. white sugar, granulated
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. pinyon nuts (pine or pignoli nuts may be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line 12 muffin cavities with paper liners.
- Place nuts on a baking sheet and toast for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant and golden brown. Careful not to burn – pinyon/pine nuts burn quite easily. Set aside to cool.
- Sift together cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Mix in oil, honey, egg and finally buttermilk. Fold in nuts.
- Fill lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the edges of the muffins begin to turn slightly golden.