Where have these muffins been in the mornings that I crave fruit roll-ups and a Mountain Dew after drinking my face off? I’d safely assume they would tackle the hungover-Ashley-sweet-tooth without a problem.
- 1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- Beat together cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together egg milk, brown sugar, butter, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spoon half of batter into muffin cups. Top each portion with 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture and 1 teaspoon jam. Spoon remaining muffin batter on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove muffins and cool on rack. Store in airtight container.