Health Benefits of Longan Fruit: The “dragon’s eye” is an amazing healer!
Longan fruit originated in China, but it’s an exotic fruit that can be found in India, Thailand, and a number of other Southeast Asian countries. Also known as the “dragon’s eye”, this fruit is a relative of the lychee, but with a wider range of healing properties, nutrients, and benefits.
Here are some of the health benefits of longan fruit:
- Rich in Vitamin C — Did you know that 1 serving of longan fruit contains roughly 80% of the Vitamin C you need in a single day? Vitamin C will improve the health of your skin, hair, and nails, but it’s also vital for a healthy body overall. With more Vitamin C, your body is better able to fight off disease and infections.
- Rich in minerals –– The longan fruit contains iron (vital for proper circulation), phosphorus (needed for healthy bones), potassium (one of the two most important minerals), and more. By eating longan fruit, you provide your body with the minerals it needs to function properly.
- Improves nerve health — Longan fruit is a natural anti-depressant, and it can help to stabilize your nervous system. The fruit will help to relax your nerves, enhance nerve function, and even treat neurasthenic neurosis.
- Energy booster — Not only do longan fruits contain good deal of healthy sugar (fructose), but they also help to improve your overall energy. It can help you to sleep better, improve your memory, reduce anxiety, and balance your body’s natural energies.
- Speed healing –– Thanks to the Vitamin C, antioxidants, and polyphenols in the fruit, you can heal from wounds and injuries more efficiently. The Vitamin C provides the nutrients needed to produce collagen, which aids in healing. The antioxidants and polyphenols combat free radicals, preventing them from slowing down internal functions. The result: quicker healing!
READ MORE: 9 Health Benefits of Falafel
- Heart booster — Longan fruit can help to reduce fatigue and stress, stimulate your heart to function properly, enhance circulation, and lower your risk of stroke, heart attack, and other cardiac disorders. It’s a heart-smart fruit that definitely deserves a place in your diet, because the health benefits of longan fruit are so plentiful and rich.
- Circulation booster –– Longan fruit contains iron, which your body needs to produce new red blood cells. These red blood cells carry oxygen and nutrients throughout your body, so they’re vital for your health. Thanks to the Longan fruit, you will improve your circulation!
- Healthy weight loss –– Unlike other fruits, longan fruit is fairly low in sugar–and therefore in calories. A half-cup of the fruit contains just 35 calories, but there is plenty of fiber to help you fill up. The fiber slows down the sugar absorption, ensuring that you have a steady stream of energy delivered for hours after you eat.
- Anti-aging — The antioxidants, vitamins, and polyphenols in longan fruit can help to fight free radicals and reduce oxidative stress in your body. Not only will this lead to healthier skin, but it can even combat the formation of carcinogens in your body and prevent the degeneration of important cells–such as those in your eyes, skin, connective tissues, and organs.
- Treat snake bites –– Did you know that longan fruit seeds can be used to treat snake bites? Press the eye of the seed against the snakebite area, and the seed will soak up the venom and cure the bite. Talk about a wonderful natural remedy against something so potentially dangerous.
What an amazing little fruit? Definitely one to look for in Asian supermarkets and grocery stores!