Deal with your skin condition the natural way!
Psoriasis is a severe autoimmune disorder that affects the skin. Outbreaks of psoriasis can lead to patches of red, scaly, and raised skin. The problem with psoriasis is that, like most autoimmune disorders, it’s your body attacking itself. Thankfully, there are a few natural treatments for mild psoriasis that can help you get the disorder under control:
- Avoid chemical fragrances – Chemical fragrances may make your toilet paper, cleaning supplies, soaps, and perfumes smell nice, but they’re also very likely to trigger skin irritation. Try to use unscented products, or look for any items that contain the label “for sensitive skin”. These are far less likely to trigger irritation and inflammation that can lead to psoriasis.
- Take supplements – There are a number of supplements that can improve your skin health. Milk thistle, for example, will reduce toxicity in your liver and improve your body’s ability to deal with chemicals. Fish oil will help to protect the skin and reduce inflammation. Vitamin D works with your skin and bones to improve overall health. Oregon grape, evening primrose oil, and aloe vera may all help to combat psoriasis.
- Keep your skin moisturized – Dry skin is more prone to irritation, which can lead to outbreaks and rashes. Use a humidifier in your office and home. Apply non-irritating moisturizing lotion throughout the day. Use creams and lotions designed for those with sensitive skin. Keeping your skin hydrated will reduce the risk of psoriasis plaques forming.
- Change your diet – Fried and fatty foods will increase the risk of a psoriasis outbreak, as will anything with excessive amounts of sugar. The food you eat can have a significant effect on your skin health. Eat more healthy fats, Omega-3 fatty acids, high-fiber foods, and antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies. You’ll see the difference in your skin health in no time.
READ MORE: 10 Reasons for Itchy Skin Bumps
- Cut stress – Stress is going to make EVERYTHING worse. Stress can increase the inflammatory response in your body, making the psoriasis symptoms more visible. Living with psoriasis can be stressful, so try to find ways to counteract stress in the other areas of your life. Take up Yoga, meditation, Pilates, running, napping, or whatever you have to do to reduce stress.
- Cook with turmeric – It’s a good excuse to have Indian food more often! Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent, and it can help to reduce the psoriasis symptoms. It may even be able to minimize the severity and frequency of flare-ups. Either use turmeric for cooking or try a turmeric supplement as one of the most effective natural treatments for mild psoriasis.
- Eliminate alcohol – For many people, alcohol can trigger an outbreak of psoriasis. People who drink a lot of non-light beer tend to have a higher risk of psoriasis. The more you drink, the higher your risk. It’s time to cut back on all alcohol, but darker beers in particular. The inflammatory effects of alcohol increase your risk of psoriasis outbreak.
- Quit smoking – Tobacco and nicotine are both terrible for your health, but they’ll do a real number on your skin. Tobacco can damage your skin, and nicotine will cause minor inflammation in your cardiovascular system. The result of smoking is a higher chance of psoriasis outbreaks. It will be tough, but it’s worth quitting smoking to protect your skin.
These eight remedies may sound simplistic, but you’d be amazed by how much they can improve your skin health. A few changes to your lifestyle and daily habits can reduce inflammation and protect your body from a psoriasis outbreak. Totally worth tit!