Eat these foods for memory enhancement (eat them while you’re reading this and maybe you’ll remember the list forever).
Who doesn’t want to have a better, faster, more efficiently-functioning brain? Boosting brain power is the key to being smarter, thinking more quickly, and even making better decisions. Sadly, the brain tends to decline as we age, so our brains are at their best during our formative years. As we get older, our brains slow down and begin to show signs of decay.
But did you know that you can eat food to help you improve your memory and boost brain power? Here are some foods that can slow down brain aging and reduce your risk of serious memory complications:
- Coconut Oil — Coconut oil is loaded with medium-chain fatty acids, which your body needs to produce energy for your brain and cells. This frees up the glucose in your body to be sent directly to your brain, and it can help to improve circulation–thus feeding your brain more of the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- Salmon –– Anything with Omega-3 fatty acids do wonders for the brain, and salmon is one of the best sources of these fats. Omega-3 fatty acids will reduce inflammation in the brain, promote healthy brain chemical production, improve circulation, enhance brain function, and even slow down the decay of your brain.
- Avocadoes –– Not only are avocadoes a great source of healthy, low-cholesterol fats, but they’re loaded with Vitamin E. Vitamin E helps to protect your body and brain from damage caused by free radicals, reducing the strain and degradation of your brain as you age. They are also loaded with Vitamin K, which can help to protect your brain from strokes!
- Blueberries –– Rich in antioxidants these little berries will do wonders for your brain. The antioxidants reduce oxidative damage in your brain, preventing the brain cell decay that can lead to Alzheimer’s and premature aging. Blueberries also contain flavonoids that boost the brain’s ability to communicate between neurons, boosting cognitive function, enhancing memory, and even making it easier for you to learn!
- Chia –– Yet another great source of Omega-3s, chia seeds are loaded with healthy fiber that will boost your circulation. They control your blood sugar levels, reduce swelling in your body, and are rich in brain health-boosting antioxidants.
READ MORE: Best Foods for Your Brain
- Tomatoes –– Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that is helpful for not only preventing prostate cancer, but also protecting your brain against free radical damage.
- Pumpkin Seeds –– Pumpkin seeds are loaded with zinc, a mineral that your brain NEEDS in order to store memories. A zinc deficiency can lead to reduced brain function and recall, so eating more zinc-rich foods will do wonders for your brain.
- Dark Chocolate –– As if you need another excuse to eat chocolate! Dark chocolate contains flavonoids, which helps to increase blood flow to the brain. This in turn boosts your brain function, enhancing memory and thinking ability. Chocolate also promotes the production of neurochemicals that boost your mood.
- Red Cabbage –– This colorful vegetable is loaded with polyphenols, antioxidants that can help to boost brain and heart function. The glucosinolates in the cabbage can also aid in the fight against brain cancer.
- Sunflower Seeds –– These little seeds contain not only a lot of zinc, but they’re also a great source of protein–a nutrient that plays a vital role in the function of your brain. They’re rich in B vitamins and tryptophan, which your body needs to produce serotonin, another vital brain chemical.
Eat these foods for a healthier brain!