Find out what makes this odd tea so amazing!
Kombucha is a superfood that originates from the Far East. It has been used in China and other Asian countries as an “elixir”, but recent studies have discovered the legitimate health benefits behind the tea. It may be an odd drink (fermented cane sugar and black tea), but it’s certainly one you could stand to drink a lot more of!
Here are some of the health benefits of Kombucha tea:
- Provides probiotics — Probiotics are bacteria that boost the beneficial bacteria living in your intestines. This will help to boost your immune system, speed up digestion, and keep your body working better overall. Thanks to the fermentation process, Kombucha tea is one of the best natural sources of probiotics.
- Aid in digestion — Kombucha is rich in antioxidants, particularly the flavonoids and polyphenols found in black tea. These antioxidants help to fight the free radicals in your digestive system, and the enzymes and probiotics provided by the tea will ensure that your digestive organs are as balanced and healthy as possible.
- Promote weight loss –– It may surprise you to learn that Kombucha and weight loss go hand in hand, but the truth is that drinking this tea will make it just that little bit easier for you to lose weight. In a 2005 study, it was discovered that Kombucha can give your metabolism a boost, and can even stop your body from accumulating more fat. The combination of these two things makes it an effective weight loss aid, and you’ll find that a cup of Kombucha tea is a great way to start your day!
- Boost joint health –– Your joints take a beating every day, particularly if you are an active person. Drink more Kombucha and protect your joints! The tea is rich in glucosamines, which help your body to produce more hyaluronic acid that is needed for the synovial fluid between your joints. The tea will help your body to also produce collagen (great for your skin as well as your joints), and will ensure that your joints are protected from the wear and tear of daily life.
READ MORE: Health Benefits of Dandelion Tea
- Increase energy production –– Kombucha contains small amounts of caffeine, which is a mild stimulant that will help to boost your energy levels on those mornings when you’re sleepy. However, during the fermentation process, a lot of iron is released from the black tea. That iron increases the production of red blood cells, which allows your body to transport more oxygen and nutrients around your body. It actually helps your body create more of the ATP energy your muscles need!
- Fight cancer –– The journal Cancer Letters published a study that talked about the glucaric acid Kombucha contains, and its ability to reduce the risk of cancer. It is said that President Ronald Reagan drank the tea every day, using it to help treat his stomach cancer. The anti-aging properties of the tea make it a potentially effective cancer remedy.
- Boost immunity –– Did you know that something like 80% of immune activity takes place in the gut? By drinking Kombucha tea, you balance out the bacteria living in your gut. Those bacteria are then more effectively able to counter the pathogens that make their way into your digestive system, fighting off the majority of the viruses, fungi, and bad bacteria that would cause you to get sick. Thanks to the probiotic effect of the tea, you’ll have a much stronger immune system!