7 Health Benefits of Brandy: because cocktail hour is the best hour.
Did you know that people who live in the Armagnac region of France live up to five years longer than the average French person? This may be in large part due to the many health benefits of brandy, a liquor produced in the region.
Brandy is often considered the “poor cousin” to Cognac, one of the most elegant of the liquors. However, brandy offers a wide range of health benefits, which include:
- Immune Booster — Brandy has been used in the “cordials” and “elixirs” used to treat colds, coughs, and flus for centuries, but modern science has discovered the reason why it works. Alcohol is a natural antibacterial, so drinking a bit of alcohol can help to combat the bacteria living in your body. Thanks to the antioxidant properties of the brandy, you can boost your immune system and give it what it needs to protect you from infection. As a bonus, brandy helps you to sleep, and we all know how sleep promotes a healthy immune system.
- Improves Sleep –– There is a very good reason so many people like to have a glass of brandy every night: it helps you to sleep. Brandy has natural warming properties, and it can help you to relax and unwind at the end of a long day. It’s also a soothing liquor, and will “mute” the various aches and pains in your body. The result is a much better night of rest, all thanks to the brandy!
- Cancer Fighter — Brandy contains ellagic acid, an organic compound that has the ability to retard the growth and spread of carcinogens. Brandy is most effective at dealing with ovarian and bladder cancer, but the ellagic acid can work on a number of different types of cancer. Drinking more brandy may help to fight off or reduce your risk of cancer.
READ MORE: 7 Health Benefits of Vodka
- Anti-Aging Serum — You may not want to apply brandy to your skin or face (like other serums), but it will do a great job of preventing aging when you ingest it the normal way. Brandy contains a lot of antioxidant compounds (both from the grapes and produced during the distillation process), all of which can help to reduce free radical damage in the body. By preventing the free radicals from affecting your body, you prevent the damage most people associate with aging: wrinkling skin, vision issues, reduced cognitive function, etc. This is possibly the most beautiful of the health benefits of brandy. Can I get an #amen?
- Boost Heart health –– A bit of brandy goes a long way toward making you a healthier person! Like all grape products, brandy contains antioxidants that can boost your cardiovascular health. The nutrients in the brandy will lower your blood pressure, reduce your risk of obesity, and prevent clotting. The result is a much lower risk of heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Respiratory boost –– Brandy has been used in many cough syrups, and it’s all thanks to the fact that the alcohol can loosen up the phlegm and mucus in your throat and respiratory system. If you’re coughing, a shot of brandy can make it easier to cough up whatever is in your lungs and throat. The antioxidants in the brandy can soothe the inflamed tissue, reducing the pain of your infected respiratory system.
Bonus: Brandy is weight loss friendly! Brandy is low-carb and low-calorie, so it’s a good choice for those who are trying to drop a few pounds. It won’t interfere with your body’s ability to break down and absorb food, making it the perfect liquor to have before your meals!
Love this article? Us too, so we know you’ll be obsessed with the 10 Health Benefits of Whiskey piece we published a while back as well. Cheers!