They’re healthier dried than fresh!
Fruit is one of the most important food groups. Not only does it deliver a lot of fiber, healthy sugars, and nutrients, but you get most of the important antioxidants your body needs to be healthy. With so many fruits on the planet and only 1-2 servings recommended per day, how are you supposed to try all the fruits? There are a few that are healthier than others—dried figs, also known as anjeer fruit, for example. The health benefits of anjeer fruit are amazing, making them one of the healthiest fruits for you to eat:
- Great for weight loss – Unlike other dried fruits, anjeer fruit are fairly low in both calories and sugar. This makes them a weight loss-friendly food, one you can eat without worrying about adding too many calories to your diet.
- Amazing source of fiber – Figs, like all fruits, are packed with both soluble and insoluble fiber. You get about 5 grams of fiber from just 3 pieces of anjeer fruit, which is more than most other fruits can provide. The fiber will reduce sugar absorption, improve digestion, prevent high cholesterol, and encourage healthy gut bacteria. It can even act as a laxative and reduce your risk of gastrointestinal problems.
- Loaded with antioxidants – Figs are a great source of Vitamins C and E, as well as phenols that can improve heart function, fight disease, and prevent oxidative stress. Figs are an amazing source of antioxidants, and dried figs contain even more (and more easily absorbed/utilized) antioxidants than their fresh counterparts.
- Fight high blood pressure – Thanks to all the fiber in figs, you can reduce your risk of hypertension. The fiber will prevent your blood sodium levels from skyrocketing out of control, and can restore a healthy electrolyte balance courtesy of the potassium in anjeer fruit. You get 129 mg of potassium per fruit, with only 2 mg of sodium.
READ MORE: Fruit for Weight Loss: How it Works
- Fight cancer – The antioxidants in the anjeer fruit can help to reduce oxidative damage to your DNA, preventing the formation of cancer cells. Dried figs may not be a cancer remedy, but it can decrease your chances of developing cancer in the first place.
- Reduce heart disease risk – Between the antioxidants, the fiber, and the potassium in this fruit, you can seriously reduce the risk of heart disease. Fiber prevents cholesterol from being absorbed, antioxidants prevent the cholesterol from becoming oxidized and hardening into plaque, and potassium will counteract the effects of the modern high-sodium diet. One of the main health benefits of anjeer fruit is its ability to keep your heart healthy.
- Provide iron – Iron is one of the most important minerals for the human body, thanks to the fact that it is needed to produce red blood cells to carry oxygen and nutrients. The high iron content of anjeer fruit can reduce your risk of iron-deficiency anemia and enhance your body’s effectiveness at transporting nutrients and oxygen.
- Strengthen your bones – Did you know that a single serving of anjeer fruit contains around 10% of your daily calcium requirements? Each anjeer fruit contains 3% of your calcium DV, meaning eating this little fruit will feed your bones. You can fight osteoporosis and enhance bone strength thanks to anjeer fruit.
- Increase fertility and libido – Figs were used by the Ancient Greeks as an aphrodisiac thanks to its ability to improve circulation and testosterone production (the effects of the zinc). Anjeer fruit contains manganese and magnesium, both of which are vital for a healthy reproductive system.