Find out the truth about this amazing oil…
Grapes truly are an amazing fruit! Not only do they provide us with delicious wine, but they contain potent antioxidants (resveratrol and polyphenols) that can improve heart health, circulation, and fight oxidative stress. While most of the benefits are derived from the skin and the flavor from the fruit, don’t forget about the seed! There are a surprising number of grapeseed oil benefits you should know about:
- Protect the skin — Most seed-based oils are high in Vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps to protect the skin. Vitamin E provides a layer of oil to trap moisture inside and keep out the UV rays, making grapeseed oil an awesome ingredient to use as a moisturizer. However, the antioxidants in the seeds may also protect from UV damage, and can help to lighten the skin and deal with age spots.
- Fight acne –– Acne is caused by the P. acne bacteria, but grapeseed oil can help to reduce the inflammation and irritation of the bacterial infection. The anti-allergen properties can also prevent allergies from causing rashes.
- Anti-cancer — Grapeseed extract contains antioxidants that can stimulate the apoptosis (cellular death) of cancer cells. Regular consumption of the extract can not only prevent the growth of tumors, but may actually be able to reduce your risk of cancer overall.
- Deal with hemorrhoids –– Grapeseed oil is rich in fatty acids and flavonoids that can help to increase blood flow and heal damaged blood vessels. Considering that the cause of hemorrhoids is burst capillaries, you can see why grapeseed oil makes such an efficient remedy to deal with the problem.
READ MORE: Drunken Beauty Has Real Benefits
- Treat arthritis — While it may not be the most effective remedy for treating osteoarthritis, grapeseed oil can help to reduce the autoimmune-caused rheumatoid arthritis. This is because the oil provides the nutrients our bodies need to produce collagen, a protein found in our joints. Grapeseed oil also helps to reduce inflammation, leading to greater mobility and flexibility.
- Reduce blood pressure –– High blood pressure can be caused by a wide range of problems, including narrowed arteries and cholesterol blockages. The beauty of grapeseed oil is that it can help to prevent the build-up of cholesterol, dilate the blood vessels, and enhance circulation. The result is much better blood pressure, ergo better heart health!
- Improve skin appearance –– If you’re worried about stretch marks or wrinkles, try applying grapeseed oil directly to your skin. Grapeseed oil contains the nutrients your body needs to produce more collagen, the protein that keeps your skin healthy, fresh, and tight. By giving your body more of the nutrients needed, you can reduce sagging skin, wrinkles, and stretch marks.
- Help treat diabetes –– Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that can cause a number of negative side effects, but grapeseed oil can help to enhance blood sugar control and prevent diabetes complications.
All pretty awesome benefits, right?
Well, before you go out and buy a year’s supply of grapeseed oil, there’s something you need to know: it’s not the best oil to eat. While it does provide the benefits listed above, it’s still fairly high in Omega-6 fatty acids. This means that it can increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, especially if consumed in excess. While the oil is very useful for cooking (thanks to its high smoke point), it’s not the healthiest of the cooking oils. Try to use sesame oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil–all of which are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids!