New York is truly one of the greatest cities in the world, and probably one of the greatest places to live if you like a fast-paced life full of action and fun. It’s the birthplace of lots of types of Yoga, and though not everyone is into fitness programs, you’ll find that residents of the Big Apple are also some of the fittest, healthiest people in the country as well.
Why is this?
- They walk everywhere — In NYC, fewer people own cars simply because it’s so much easier to get around town via cab or public transportation. A lot of New Yorkers opt to walk everywhere, which means that they get a lot more exercise every day. This leads to less stress, lower blood pressure levels, and much better overall health – plus they get to walk through relaxing parks like Central Park, The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, or Riverside Parks.
- They’re serious about the gym –– In New York, a gym membership is almost more important than a place to live. New Yorkers spent about $135 per month on gym memberships in 2011 – more than all but two other U.S. cities. New York has been home to many new fitness fads, and you’ll find gyms on just about every street corner.
- They’ve got the best health care –– New York is home to two amazing hospitals: New York Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell, and NYU Langone Medical Center. Both of these are ranked on the U.S. News’ 2013 Honor Roll, and New York was ranked in first place among the cities in the country with the best hospitals. That means New Yorkers have access to some of the best healthcare.
- They have a Mayor that cares –– Michael Bloomberg is definitely one that cares about public health issues, and he has worked for years to improve living conditions in the city. He’s making an effort to make NYC a healthy city, and it shows!
- They get paid sick days –– Not feeling well? A new legislation passed in the state forces businesses with more than 20 employees to provide paid sick days for their workers. It means that if you’re not feeling well, you can take time off to rest and recuperate while still earning a living.
- They’ve got clean water –– The water in New York City has been ranked as some of the cleanest in the U.S., thanks to the reservoirs storing water upstate. These clean reservoirs keep NYC supplied with billions of gallons of water, and the EPA announced in 2007 that New Yorkers didn’t need to filter their water.
- They have Yoga classes everywhere –– There are hundreds of Yoga studios throughout the sprawling metropolis, with dozens of different types of Yoga to choose from!
- They can walk through Central Park –– Definitely one of the most beautiful urban parks, Central Park is a benefit that New Yorkers flaunt whenever they can. Sprawling for more than 800 acres, this is a park that makes you want to exercise!
- They have banned smoking –– In 2011, a ban was placed on all smoking in restaurants and bars. Since then, the number of smokers in New York has dropped by 14% – a pretty huge change in this cigarette-oriented country.
- They have every kind of food –– It’s a city with more than 8 million people, many of which have different dietary needs. This means that they can get a wide variety of foods, treats, and healthy eating options without having to walk too far. Gluten-free eaters, vegetarians, paleo dieters, and pretty much everyone else can easily find the food they’re looking for!