We chatted with top board certified dermatologist, Dr. Debra Jaliman, about some natural at-home skincare remedies that’ll leave us glowing like a star Here’s what the doc and author of new book, Skin Rules, suggests:
1. Skin reflects your overall health so eat a healthy diet. Choose fruit and vegetables as they have antioxidants and phytonutrients. Eat blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, plums, beans, artichokes, and dried prunes. Studies show that foods high in antioxidants give the skin a brighter complexion. Editor’s note: we also love beets, kale, squash, & melon… and you should totally try this Spinach, Apricot, & Blueberry Salad recipe.
2. Blueberries are packed with skin-repairing antioxidants and yogurt contains lactic acid, which helps exfoliate damaged skin. My favorite homemade mask recipe combines 10 blueberries, 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt. Mash the ingredients, apply to face, and wash off after 15 minutes.
3. I recommend a natural skin lightening cream using equal parts lemon juice and egg whites. Apply to the skin and wash off after 15 minutes. You can do this daily and it gives the skin an instant glow.
4. Use milk to lighten the skin. Milk has lactic acid which reduces hyper pigmentation and exfoliates the skin. Pour warm buttermilk into a bowl, heat the milk by placing the bowl in warm water. Do not microwave. Immerse a washcloth in the buttermilk and place it on the face. Rinse after 15 minutes.
5. You can also grind almonds in a mortar and pestle and combine with honey. This makes a nice exfoliating scrub and gets rid of dead skin cells. Skin looks instantly refreshed.
For more awesome tips you should totally check out Dr. Jaliman’s book… she’s clearly a skin genius.